Technical Tour on July 19
¥5,000 (per person) to attend
NACHI-FUJIKOSHI CORP. ⇒ Zuiryu-ji Temple ⇒ Komatsu NTC Ltd.
This is a famous temple of the Soto Zen School where the graves of the family of Toshinaga Maeda, the founder of Takaoka, are located.
Visitors are overwhelmed by the splendid yet elegant beauty of the magnificent temple layout.
Founded by the third lord of Kaga Clan, Toshitsune Maeda, Zuiryu-ji Temple is recognized as an excellent early Edo Period Zen Buddhism temple (initially constructed in 1614). The temple’s sanmon (temple gate), butsuden (Buddhist sanctum), and hatto (lecture hall) were each designated as a National Treasure of the buildings category in 1997. Furthermore, its somon (main entrance gate), zendo (meditation hall and the sleeping room of monks), daikuri (kitchen), osado (large tea house), takaroka (elevated corridor), and kairo (covered corridor) have each been designated as an Important Cultural Property by the national government.
One of the characteristics of this temple is its layout: its somon, sanmon, butsuden, and hatto are placed in a straight line while zendo (also called sodo), on the left, and daikuri, on the right, are placed symmetrically on each side of the temple complex. Another characteristic is that all buildings are connected with the covered corridor.
Matsuura Machinery Corporation ⇒ Eiheiji Temple ⇒
Nakamura-Tome Precision Industry Co., Ltd.
Founded by Dogen Zenji in 1244, this temple of the Soto Zen School located in Eiheiji Town of Yoshida County, Fukui Prefecture is a dojo (facility for ascetic practices) for monks to practice Zen Buddhism.
Many ascetic monks are engaging in strict religious practices throughout the day including waking up early in the morning, chanting sutra in a service, meditating, and eating their meals according to the rules and manners established by the Zen School called gyohatsu. People who visit the temple will be able to get a glimpse of the daily lives of those dedicated ascetic monks. Incidentally, the sodo (meditation hall and the sleeping room of monks), yokushitsu (bathing room) and tosu (restroom) are referred to as the three places of silence; talking is not allowed in these facilities.
There are more than 70 halls and multi-storied buildings in this large temple complex with an area of 330,000 square meters. In particular, the seven buildings essential for ascetic practices (called shichidogaran) are connected with a covered corridor. Surrounded by thickly grown old Japanese cedars said to be 700 years old, this temple complex stands in tranquil silence; it is a sacred area perfect as a dojo for monks.